Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tag! I'm It

Michelle, my friend and former co-worker, has tagged me. She is so hip. Apparently, when another blogger tags you, you have to share seven items about yourself. I am guessing no strangers out in the blogosphere actually read my boring musings about moving to Texas, but one never knows. In the name of being a good sport (and so as not to upset my friend, who can get a little feisty), here are my seven:

1. I think I am addicted to the Internet. Actually, Andy would confirm that I am, in fact, addicted. Maybe it's because I am lonely, maybe I am seeking a connection to the outside world, or maybe I am just a weirdo, but I do spend too much time blogging, reading email, checking on friends' baby websites, searching homes in Houston, and reading my Mommy Gossip message boards. I have noticed that I spend a lot more time online than I did when I was teaching. I guess it's due to the fact that I no longer have 130 essays hanging over my head. Really, though, I do think that being a stay-at-home-mom/domestic engineer is quite isolating. Contrast that with being with 130 teenagers all day and you've got a very different lifestyle.

2. I sometimes wish I would have chosen a career involving animals. I don't really have the science in me to be a vet, but I wish I did. Or, sometimes I wish I was Cesar Milan, the "Dog Whisperer." I could train therapy dogs and work in a hospital. There is nothing that upsets me more than reading about animals in distress. I know it's awful to say, but I have often have more sympathy for animals than I do for people.

3. I can't stand when people misuse the word "peruse." It means "to examine carefully" but people often use it to mean "skim" or "browse." You would think that an English teacher would have lists and lists of grammar/usage pet peeves. I don't, really. But, yeah, the "peruse" thing bugs me. Oh, and switching around "less" and "fewer" is also annoying. One more: when people insist on putting punctuation outside of quotation marks. See my first and second sentence? The period goes INSIDE.

4. There's nothing better than a choreographed routine. I love them all--commercials, movie scenes--you name it. The opening scene of Austin Powers (check out the link)? Hysterical. The Little Dancing Man on You Tube? Weird, but funny. Do you watch 30 Rock? I am talking about "midnight Train to Georgia" with Tracey Morgan and crew. Check it out here.

5. I hate olives. I guess that doesn't really need an explanation, other than it's the one food I don't like. (I'm not a picky eater.)

6. I want to live in Vermont. I have no idea why. Maybe it's the image I have in my head: fall leaves, maple syrup, stone houses. Did I mention that I have never been to Vermont? Imagine if Andy had informed me that we were being relocated to Vermont. What would the blog be called then? "From Lincoln to Green Mountain State..." Um, not as catchy.

7. I grew up in a town with the best sunsets in the world. Have you seen a sunset in Erie, PA? There is nothing like it. Check out the pics:







4 comments:

Michelle said...

I just perused your post. Very nice.

Emma said...

You are a smart ass, but that's why I like you.

Susie O'Rourke said...

Hi Emma! I enjoyed reading those seven facts about you. I hope everything works out for you and your big move to Texas. I will keep reading to see what happens!

Emily said...

Aww, Mrs. Skerlong and Ms. Shadle did a number on you. I also can stand neither the misuse of "peruse" nor punctuation outside of quotation marks. I can't tell you how many times I heard "But this isn't an English class!" from my Comm students. Poor babies. I also hate when people use the word "literally" when they aren't being literal.