There's nothing like the first warm, sunny day in Chicago. I always say you know it's Spring in Chicago when you see all the dogs and babies. These sunny, cool Spring days keep me going in the dead of winter. As I was walking around yesterday, I couldn't help but notice the smiles on the faces of those I passed. Yet, Spring's coquettish ways don't have us fooled; we know there will be more cold days to come. Days that provide fodder for conversation at the check-out line at Jewel.
"Stay warm out there!"
"Yeah, thanks. Hard to imagine it was 60 degrees yesterday and now it's 20!"
"That's Chicago for ya."
And, yes, that is Chicago. We have a torrid love affair with our weather, and our moods (or at least my mood) is greatly affected by the weather. So, all of this got me wondering. When I move to Houston, will I miss out on these brilliant days? Yes, I know there will be plenty of sun, but will there be that feeling, that indescribable something that permeates the air? I've said that people are friendly in Texas, and maybe that is partly due to the nice weather. But, it also makes me think that something is lost. With no struggle in the cold, are the days as glorious?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's true - without the gloomy days, you lose appreciation for the brilliant days. But then you call home, listen to everyone bitch about the weather, and become suitably appreciative.
Maybe it's my age, but I am all for the sun almost all of the time. Just tap into your memory of the gloomy, dank, dark days of Chicago winters, and you will immediately appreciate the sun.
Post a Comment