Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Search for the Perfect Donut

Most people who know me (especially my former co-workers), know that I love donuts. (In fact, one of my friends bought me The Donut Book as my going away present when I left Chicago.) No, a love of donuts is certainly not a healthy love, but I don't consider it the worst vice around, either. Growing up in Erie, we'd get donuts from a great place on W. 26th Street, that has since closed. The cream-filled donuts were amazing, and I scoured Chicago to find a substitute. But, alas, even the City of Big Shoulders couldn't deliver the cream-filled from my Gem City upbringing. (Note to all the Dunkin' Donut franchise owners in Chicago--cake frosting jammed in a powered pillow is NOT "cream filled." I love your coffee, but the cake frosting filled nightmare has to go!) You can imagine then, my excitement when I saw a lot of independent donut places here in Katy. So far, I have tried two Snowflake Donut locations, both of which had great glazed numbers, but lacked anything cream filled. I tried Shipley's Donuts (not an independent), and it's the closest I've come thus far. The cream was light and airy, but it had a hint of a marshmallow-fluff flavor. So far, that's all I've tried. Don't worry. I'll update as I try the donut shops of Katy. The cream-filled donut wonder of my childhood will not only live in my past. Mark my words: I am a donut-loving gal, and I know the prize is near.
P.S. This post is dedicated to Michelle, who shared a bag of donuts with me on a San Francisco pier, igniting and sealing our friendship with one bite, and to Gretchen, who can appreciate a warm glazed over a bagel any day of the week, and knows that it's perfectly okay to drive from Western Springs into the city just because "that crack frosting" is so damn good. Miss you both....

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for the dedication. I am so honored.

After reading this post this afternoon, I was driving around town and saw a place called Honey Fluff Donuts on Willow Springs Rd. I am now determined to give it a try.

Oh, and Emma...we'll always have San Fran.

Michelle said...

P.S. This morning, on the way to the Farmers Market to get fresh, organic produce, I stopped at 7-11 for a long john because I had such a donut craving.

Dennis Weed said...

I think the World's most perfect food is a Chocolate Covered Cream Filled donut from Mighty Fine Donuts in Erie.