Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Our First Texas Play Date

One of the things I knew I'd miss about Chicago is my network of friends with kids. I don't think I could have survived being a SAHM with Andy's long commute and his schooling were it not for play dates (which is code for "let's feed the kids some Goldfish crackers, watch them play, and drink wine). Now, there was no wine at my first Texas play date today, but, to its defense, it was at 9:30 am and I AM getting together with a handful of girls at a Mexican restaurant tomorrow night for Mom's night out. Of course it's always hard to start anew, but the women I met today were really nice. Then, tonight when I was at the sports store buying my new bike, I ran into one of the gals I met today! It felt nice to actually know someone besides my son and husband.

Besides the playgroup we met up with today (called the "New to Katy Moms meet-up"), I have signed us up for MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) at the local First Baptist Church. It meets every other Friday throughout the year, and provides a child program called "Moppets" for Henry. I am excited for him to have a little "pre-school" time while I connect with other mom's of kids Henry's age.

I know it'll take time to make a network of friends, and not just those I want to have play dates with, but real friends who I can call and chat up, vent to, etc. This is what I miss about Chicago--my friends. It's really the people that make a place as the adage goes. And it's an "old adage" for a reason.

1 comment:

KatyTexasMommy said...

So nice to meet you Ms. Emma, looking forward to more get togethers. Kelli