Saturday, July 12, 2008

Howdy Y'all!

Tomorrow marks our first full week in Texas, and, so far, we are doing well. Our movers came on Monday, so we have been able to unpack and start organizing. After finishing unpacking the kitchen, Andy commented on how he couldn't believe how we fit all of our stuff in our kitchen in Chicago. It is so nice to not have to pile everything on top of each other.

We have also been furniture shopping fiends. My mom came into town to be on Henry duty while Andy and I outfitted our great room and master bedroom. Our bedroom furniture was delivered today, taking us one step closer to being settled.

Henry is doing super. He loves his yard and the new water table we bought him for the backyard--hours of fun. Kirby also loves the yard, but his favorite spot is perched on the upstairs balcony where he can guard the house. He has a view outside and below, which, apparently, is all a dog really needs for hours of enjoyment.

The best part of our transition thus far is our neighborhood. On our cul-de-sac, three of our neighbors have come over to introduce themselves, and everyone is so nice. Our neighbors to our immediate left are Midwesterners with 4 kids, and we really like them. It is amazing how convenient our neighborhood is to everything we need--Target, Home Depot, grocery stores, banks, doctor's office, etc. The whole community is so well-planned. (I guess there is a reason it's called a "master-planned community" after all!)

I will try to get some pics up soon, once I dig out my camera. For now, though, know we are doing well. Andy and I are already saying "y'all," which is going to make my sister-in-law (who is from Tennessee) so very proud!

Oh, and it's hot. Really hot.

6 comments:

TGZ said...

way to go yall!- soon-na-ff yall-be sayin' everythings better in tex-has

welcome home

Ingrid said...

great! look fwd to seeing pics!

Emily said...

Glad you're settling in and so happy to hear your neighbors are good - that makes a huge difference. I really used to hate "y'all" but I've come to appreciate its friendly efficiency.

And guess what .... we're moving. I got a 2-year assistant professorship at Allegheny and Chris got 2 job offers in Erie within one week!! So we're packing up, losing more money on real estate, and heading home!

Michelle said...

So glad to here you're all settling in well. And I cannot wait to see pictures. We'll be back from CO in a week. Until then, I'm out of cell phone touch. Talk to you when we're back!

Susie O'Rourke said...

I'm glad to read everything is going well so far, and I look forward to seeing pictures!

Keelagirl said...

Sounds like a smooooth transition to Katy. I am looking forward to seeing pictures/videos of Henry and Kirby grooving in their new environment.