Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Magic of the Internet

I made a fun discovery online yesterday--an online mom's group for moms in Katy! It's a forum designed to connect moms to one another to schedule play dates, book club, nights out, etc. It may sound dorky, but it's a goldmine for me! I know that having Henry will make it a bit easier to meet people once we move, but it is nice to find a resource like this.

I have also been exploring my teaching options once we move. I have already begun the process of obtaining certification in Texas. It is really such a rip-off. The first step involves me sending in copies of my Illinois certificate, transcripts, and, of course, a big check. The people at the Texas State Board of Education call this the "Review of Credentials." Once that is complete, I will most likely have to take one exam, pay more money, and get fingerprinted before I can officially be certified. I am not planning on teaching at the K-12 level right now, but I thought it made sense to have the certificate in case something comes up. What I really want to do is teach adjunct at the University of Houston because it is more flexible and part-time. (That was the point of getting the second Masters in English!) They have a "learning center" right in Cinco Ranch, so it would be very convenient! Plus, they are looking for English/writing teachers. It would be nice to have a way to make more connections once we move, and I miss teaching! (I just don't want to do it full time right now!)

No comments: