Sunday, November 4, 2007

Kirby+Texas=Snake & Gator bait

"Bayou" is such a fun word, isn't it? I have never really had an occasion to use the word "bayou" until now. When I live in Texas, I think I'll be able to use it a lot. And while the idea of living near a bayou is cool, let me just say that, yes, it is cool until you decide to do one of two (or both) of the following: 1.) read stories about gators feasting on neighborhood dogs after the gators meander from their cozy bayou homes and break through backyard fences looking for grub in the form of Fido or 2.) decide to Google "Poisonous Snakes in Houston." Thanks to the lack of zoning and the expanse of master-planned communities butting up against many-a-bayou, it seems snakes (some nasty ones at that) and gators are a reality. Now, I have read forum postings from Houstonians (Houstonites?) who claim they have never encountered a snake or gator (I am more upset about the snake possibility....), while others recount tales of Copperheads curled up in their driveways or coral snakes weaving through their landscaping. I did find the site of one man who dispels snake rumors and claims he lets Texas Rat Snakes loose in his attic to kill the occasional vermin that make their way into the eaves. So, here they are: the poisonous snakes in the Houston area, copied from the Houston Audubon Society website, www.houstonaudobon.org

Venomous Snakes

Southern Copperhead Most common venomous snake in our area. Deaths are extremely rare from its bite, though it could be fatal to a small child and could cause the loss of a limb or digit. The copper-colored dark bands which encircle the pale-skinned body appear to be compressed into an hour-glass shape over the spine. Principal food is mice, but it readily eats other small animals. Lover of woodpiles and leaf litter. Adults up to 30" long. Young have bright yellow tail tips. Live-bearing.
Western Cottonmouth Stout dark viper mainly seen in water but may live in dry habitats. Normal adult size 36". Relatively few people bitten despite reputation. Mortality rate throughout the U.S. is less than 1 person a year. Many harmless and beneficial water snakes are mistaken for the cottonmouth and needlessly killed. Young have bright yellow tail tips. Live-bearing.
Texas Coral Small (up to 26") snake with vivid markings: red bands surrounded by yellow bands on each side. (One helpful way to remember this is to think of a traffic light - when you have the yellow warning light and red stop light on together, you better stop!) Several harmless snakes resemble the coral snake but do not have adjoining red and yellow bands. The coral snake's venom is the most virulent in the U.S. It is non-aggressive and virtually all bites occur from someone trying to touch or handle it. Antivenin should be given at once. Found in plant litter or rocky crevices. Eats primarily other snakes. Egg-bearing.

Rattlesnakes

May be found in outlying areas around Houston but are uncommon. Many snakes, including copperheads, cottonmouths and nonpoisonous snakes, also vibrate their tails when threatened, and if the snake is in a brushy area, the sound can be quite similar to a rattler. If you are bitten by a rattler, seek medical attention at once! Fatalities are very rare now because of the excellent treatment which is available. All rattlers are live-bearing. The young often have yellow tail tips before the rattles begin to form.

Western Diamondback The largest and most wide-spread of the rattlers in our area. It averages 3' to 4' and feeds on small mammals. Because it often forages during the day, it is the most likely rattler to be seen, especially around farm buildings.
Timber Rattlesnake Not quite as large and not easily found. It prefers to hunt at night in thickets away from areas of human occupation.
Western Massasauga Average length of about 2'. It prefers grasslands with prickly pear thickets and is very uncommon.
Western Pigmy Also rare. It is a little over a food long and stockily built. It is very retiring but will bite readily if threatened.

Now, I am not totally anti-snakes; I do understand that snakes are important to the ecological balance of an area. But the poisonous ones freak me out. I may have to rethink any properties that list "view of bayou" in the description. Then again, last month I found a dead rat the size of a small cat a the foot of my back stairs. Maybe the Texas Rat Snake idea isn't so bad....
All I know is that Henry is not allowed to have this in his room:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: