Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes...

A year ago tonight, I was preparing our things to head to Texas Children's early the following morning on December 9, when Mitchell had his "big surgery" (Nephrectomy=icky ruined kidney removed). I can hardly believe it has been a year, and, when I think back to that time, filled with worry and uncertainty, all that anxiety and fear comes flooding back. In the year since he got his bum kidney out, Mitch has thrived. Really, his is the best possible outcome. I belong to a few PUV (Posterior Urethral Valves) information/parent groups, and many of the boys who survive are on hemodialysis awaiting transplants. Sadly, many boys with PUV do not survive 40 weeks gestation. We are so, so lucky. Mitch goes to see his Nephrologist right after the first of the year, and we are optimistic that she will continue to be pleased with his results. In February, we go for our biannual visit to Dr. G and the Urology clinic, compete with renal ultrasound (waaaaaay better than a VCUG!), and we hope and pray that his remaining kidney continues to be the rock star that it is.

Here's a look back at some of Mitch's journey:

Here he is at 10 days old, right before his first VCUG. Little did we know how our world would be rocked that day. The Radiologist came out after she looked at the images and said, "We have paged your Pediatrician, and you are going to go straight up to the 8th floor to meet with Dr. Gonzales in Urology. Your son has a rare condition called Posterior Urethral Valves, and he needs to be seen right now." I will never forget sitting outside of the Urology Clinic, seeing Dr. G come up from surgery in scrubs, and walk past us as we waited. Knowing now what a big shot he is, how busy the clinic is, and how crazy the surgery schedule is, I realize how serious Mitch's condition was.


Here we are in our quarters at Texas Children's prior to Mitch's first surgery. We were admitted the same day as the previous picture, right after we met with Dr. G.


Here we are last year at this time, December 9, 2009, in pre-op with our smiley little man. Even though it was his third surgery, it never gets easier to hand off your baby to the OR nurse.

Mitch, doped up on Morphine. It was a rough 48 hours, and then he was so much better. Kids heal so fast and are so resilient.
It was fitting that today I learned that the National Kidney Foundation has finally rescheduled the Houston Kidney Walk for April 30, 2011. You'll be hearing from me to join our team as a walker (Texas friends!) or to join us as a supporter.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, Emma. I don't think I ever realized the gravity of the situation. I grasped (as much as I could) how scary it would be to have your baby going through surgery, but I didn't realize how serious his condition was. I'm so thankful that the outcomes have been so positive for you guys. And I also can't believe it's been a year already!!

Stacey Faye said...

Agh. What an emotional roller coaster! So thankful everything is going so well now. You can tell by Mitch's happy smiles he's a healthy boy. A sick baby is something I wouldn't wish on anyone, so happy this year has brought lots of positive news!