Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting Democrat in Texas

If I could pick a day to warp to Chicago away from Houston, today would be the day. I already voted early, but I would love to be in the energy of the city I love, with the people I love, watching my candidate win (I hope!). Moving to Texas during this emotional, heated, intense election has been interesting. I knew I'd find McCain supporters here, but I have been surprised to find a lot of Obama supporters as well. I must admit, however, that the election is putting a spotlight on how different I am from many of the people I have met here in Texas so far. I think it has made it harder to adjust to being here. People always say that Texas thinks it's its own country, and I am beginning to see that as true. I know a lot of people who are both Republican and Democrat, conservative and liberal, left of center, center, and right of center. But, for some reason, political affiliation feels different down here. I recognize that I am going from one extreme to another. But I wonder if McCain supporters feel out of place in Chicago. Maybe.

There is no doubt that I miss the City of Big Shoulders. I do. I think I miss the North. I am a Yankee, after all, and I don't think that I am cut out to be a Southerner. Actually, I know I am not. So, you see, my political affiliation is the tip of my homesick iceberg. It's just one of many parts of who I am that feels lost in this new place. Who misses the changing seasons, the poetry of Gwendolyn Brooks illustrated in front of my eyes, and dear friends. Who wonders when my vote will count again.

No comments: